Poroshenko and Poltorak
Translated from Russian by J.Hawk
There is no encirclement at Debaltsevo, said Ukraine’s
Defense Minister Stepan Poltorak at a briefing in Kiev on February 11.
Poltorak denied the militia claims that the “encirclement
had been completed around Debaltsevo.”
“There is no encirclement. It’s made up by those who want it
to exist. The units which are located at Debaltsevo and the vicinity is
receiving ammunition. There is contact with them, communications, and
coordination. We are working according to plan. Right now we are working on
reinforcing the grouping,” said Poltorak.
The Minister also said there is no threat to Mariupol, where
Ukrainian forces went on offensive on February 10. “Mariupol is in good hands,
the defense is strong, and there are also appropriate reserves. The armed
forces jointly with the Azov regiment took a few measures to expand the
territory under our control in accordance with the Minsk Protocol,” said
J.Hawk’s Comment: One has to wonder whether this piffle is
just for public consumption, or whether Poroshenko believes in it too.
Semenchenko may well be right that the senior commanders are sending up false
reports of successes to avoid making Poroshenko angry. Consequently, Poroshenko
may not even know what his own army is doing right now. And how would he know,
given the low quality of senior officers and officials on whom he is relying