|Regime of quiet in Donbass
In September another truce began agreed upon by representatives of Kiev, Lugansk, and Donbass
1. Donetsk Airport. 2. MH 17. 3. Shelling on civilian quarters. 4. The contact line.
Translated from Russian by Tom Winter, November 8, 2015
DONETSK, November 7 – RIA Novosti. The head of the self-proclaimed People’s Republic of Donetsk Alexander Zakharchenko said that the destruction of the volunteer battalions in combat with the Donbas militia may be beneficial to the Kiev authorities.
“Maybe Kiev wants to remove its internal threat, those volunteer battalions, at our hands, but as long as the DNR army doesn’t respond to provocations it won’t happen, though attacks occur regularly. We collect all violations of the “quiet” on the part of the APU, and from their volunteer battalions, and pass them to the relevant international organizations,” said Zakharchenko to RIA Novosti.
Earlier the head of the DNR said that Kiev keeps the volunteer battalions at the demarcation line so that they do not go against the current government. In his view, the battalion “is not altogether convenient” for Kiev, and that the Ukrainian authorities may try to accuse them of war crimes.
Row 1, above: Killed …. wounded
Row 2: People forced to leave their homes
Row 3: Cost to Russia in connection with refugees from Ukraine.
Row4: Criminal cases of war crimes against the civilian population in the southeast of Ukraine being investigated by the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation.
Row 5: People involved in war crimes cases in the Donbass.
Row 6: People questioned as witnesses and victims in the criminal cases.
Ukrainian authorities in April last year launched a military operation against the breakaway LNR and DNR. According to the latest UN data, the number of victims of the conflict has risen to more than 8 thousand people. The settlement of the situation in the Donbass has been under discussion, including during meetings of the contact group in Minsk, which, since September of last year, has adopted three documents governing the steps to de-escalate the conflict.
Since September 1, another truce came into force. Both sides, and the observers, say it is being observed. At the end of September, an agreement was signed on the withdrawal of tanks and arms of 100 mm caliber or less from the contact line. This process is to take place in two stages (Lugansk and Donetsk regions). The withdrawal in the Luhansk region has been completed, the withdrawal in the Donetsk region is ongoing.