Translated by Ollie Richardson for Fort Russ
4th December, 2015
Prime Minister of Ukraine, Arseniy Yatsenyuk, has said that the destruction of pylon supports for power lines in the Kherson region could be the work of Russian subversive groups. He provided no further explanation for this hypothesis.
“There is an investigation on this issue (the erosion of power transmission line). We are a constitutional state, and a legal state, so we must act exclusively within the law. Now there is an investigation as to who is behind this. It’s absolutely clear that the Russians, who have dozens of reconnaissance and sabotage groups, could be involved in it”, — said Yatsenyuk in an interview to Ukrainian TV channels on Friday.
In Kherson oblast on the night of 22 November, power transmission towers supplying electricity to the Crimea were disrupted, leaving the Peninsula completely without electricity. Supporters of the blockade of Crimea in Ukraine did not allow repairmen to attend to the damaged power lines supports. The supply of electricity to the Peninsula was not resumed until after December 2nd, when first stage of the power bridge from the Krasnodar region through the Kerch Strait was launched.
According to Crimean authorities, the energy blockade of the Peninsula is being carried out by, in particular, the head of the organization “the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people”, Mustafa Dzhemilev. Together with another leader, Refat Chubarov, he previously initiated a food blockade of Crimea and openly called for a halt of the supply. Both were prosecuted in Russia, with them, for five years, being denied entry to Russia in connection with the extremist statements.