Translated by Ollie Richardson for Fort Russ
4th January, 2016
The President of Russia, Vladimir Putin, has expressed condolences to the family of the chief of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the General staff of the Russian armed forces , Igor Sergun, in connection with his death. This was reported by a press-service of the head of state.
Igor Sergun died on January 3rd, in the 59th year of his life. “The whole life of Igor Sergun – from the Suvorov military school to the Deputy chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, was dedicated to the service of the Homeland and the Armed Forces,” – said the telegram of the President.
“Colleagues and subordinates knew him as a true military officer, an experienced and competent commander, a man of great courage, a true patriot, respected for professionalism, strength of character, honesty and integrity,” said Putin.
Condolences from Sergei Shoigu
The Russian Defense Minister, Sergei Shoigu, expressed condolences on the news of Igor Sergun’s death. “The Minister of Defence of the Russian Federation, army General Sergei Shoigu on behalf of the management of the Military Department, expressed condolences to the family of Colonel-General Igor Sergun”, – stated the message of the press service and information of the Defense Ministry.
- Igor Dmitrievich Sergun was born on the 28th March, 1957.
- He graduated from the Moscow Suvorov military school, Moscow higher combined-arms command school named after the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR, Military Academy of the Soviet Army, the Military Academy of the General staff of the Armed forces of the Russian Federation.
- Candidate of Military Sciences.
- Was in the Armed forces since 1973, In military intelligence from 1984, he served in the army in various positions in the Main intelligence Directorate.
- December 26, 2011 : appointed head of the Main Directorate of the General staff of the Russian Armed forces – Deputy chief of General staff of the Armed forces of the Russian Federation. Main Department of General staff is the organ of external intelligence of the Russian Defense Ministry and the Central body of intelligence of the armed forces.
- Colonel-General title awarded in 2015.
- He was awarded the order of Honor, “For military merits”, “For merits before Fatherland” IV degree medals.
- He was married and had two daughters.