Translated by Ollie Richardson for Fort Russ
9th February, 2016
Iraqi Shiite “Hezbollah” groups have promised to “open the gates of hell” for the military of Saudi Arabia if Riyadh is to send its troops into Syria.
This was included in the statement made on Tuesday by the command of the paramilitary wing of the party – “Hezbollah Brigade”.
“The deployment of Saudi Arabia troops on the territory of Iraq or Syria will open the gates of hell for Saudi soldiers,” the statement said. The command of the “Brigades of Hezbollah” pointed out that “mercenaries (the terrorist group) in “Islamic State” have already paid the price for trying to carry out their criminal plans in Syria,” and urged Saudi authorities “not to take risks and not to repeat the disastrous experience of the militants”.
“Hezbollah Brigade” are considered to be one of the most influential and powerful Shiite militia detachments within the Iraqi militia who are fighting against the forces of ISIS in Iraq. In particular, in March of last year, they, together with divisions of the Iraqi army, participated in the battle for the liberation of the city of Tikrit.
The Statement Of Riyadh
On the 4th of February, the leaders of Saudi Arabia made a statement about their readiness for “ground operations as part of an international coalition in Syria led by the United States.” The U.S. Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter praised the decision of Riyadh, and said that he would discuss details at a meeting with representatives of the Kingdom in Brussels.
On the 9th of February, the Foreign Minister of Saudi Arabia, Adel al-Jubeir, spoke about the possibility of sending special forces to Syria. “The Kingdom expresses its willingness to provide forces for the operation of the international coalition led by the United States in Syria against Islamic State”, – said the politician.
According to the United States, such steps by Saudi Arabia would not be interfering in the internal affairs of Syria. “We don’t view this as interference,” said the U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby.. In his view, such potential hostilities with Riyadh “put greater pressure on the IS”.
On the 7th of February, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the United Arab Emirates, Anwar Mohammed Gargash, said that the UAE is ready to send a limited military force to fight ISIS in Syria.
The Chairman of the Federation Council Committee on Defense and Security, Viktor Ozerov, believes that Damascus will need to contact the UN in the event of ground operations by Saudi Arabia in Syria.
For ground operation, “first of all, you need the consent of the Syrian government to enter the territory of Syria where there are other armed forces,” said Ozerov. “On the other hand, the Russian Federation has always advocated creating a broad coalition against terrorists, and we have not removed it from the agenda, we are ready to cooperate with other countries,” he confirmed.
“But if this anti-terrorist coalition immediately raises a primarily political objective, the removal of Bashar al-Assad from his post, is it possible to carry out an anti-terrorist operation in a state where the head is not recognized?” – asked the head of Committee of the Federation Council. “This contradiction, at least for me, casts doubt on the sincerity of the operation that Saudi Arabia have described”, he concluded.