June 21, 2017 – Fort Russ News –
President Vladimir Putin held talks with his Brazilian counterpart, Michel Temer, who arrived in Russia on an official visit on June 20th. Following the meeting, the sides signed a joint statement on strategic foreign policy dialogue. According to the document, the two leaders decided to strengthen the strategic partnership between States on matters of foreign policy, the fight against terrorism, and the development of outer space and atomic energy.
Separately, the parties emphasized the importance of efforts to promote UN reform in order to more adequately reflect contemporary realities. Both countries noted the need to continue intergovernmental negotiations on Security Council reform in order to improve the representativeness of the organ bearing the main responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security. In this regard, the Russian side expressed support for Brazil as a candidate for a permanent member of a reformed UN Security Council.
– We signed a joint statement with the President on strategic foreign policy dialogue. It provides a higher level of coordination of the efforts of our countries in the fight against new challenges and threats, such as terrorism, in support of stability, non-proliferation efforts and Arms Control, – said after the talks Vladimir Putin.
Particular attention in the document was given to cooperation in the nuclear sphere. The parties agreed to seek opportunities to expand cooperation in the completion of a new stage of Nuclear Power Plant “Angra” and the construction of new nuclear power plants in Brazil.
Vladimir Putin also said they are considering the possibility of joint launches of space rockets.
– There is the possibility of joint launches from a Brazilian cosmodrome, and manufacture of launch vehicles. We believe in supporting the creation of new technological alliances – the Russian leader said.
In turn, the president of Brazil expressed interest in expanding the network of GLONASS stations on its territory. Now the country has four stations of Russia’s global system.
– We appreciated the experience of creating stations in Brazil and the Russian GLONASS system – said Michel Temer.
The leaders also discussed possible ways of increasing trade turnover.
– Brazil is certainly one of our priorities, the most important partners in Latin America. Despite some fall by 11% in its turnover last year, this year we have not only restored this volume, but also increaseed at a fairly steady pace, – said Vladimir Putin.
Michel Temer said that trade between the two states still has untapped potential. Suffice it to say that in the first five months of this year the trade turnover increased by 40% compared to the same period last year.
– We have this undeveloped field. As I said yesterday, to the Russian businessmen on the business forum, there is a lot of room for Russian investments in Brazil – said Michel Temer.
Following the meeting, Brazilian President expressed gratitude for the warm hospitality extended to the delegation during its stay in Russia, and invited the Russian leader to visit Brazil on an official visit at a convenient time for him. The Russian president has accepted the invitation.
Before meeting with the Russian leader, Michel Temer held talks with Prime Minister. It became known that the Russian Railways aim to participate in the tender for the construction of a new railway line “North-South” in Brazil.
Overall, accumulated Russian investments in the Brazilian economy already account for about $ 1.5 billion, in particular, through the company “Rosneft”, which is involved in the development of hydrocarbons in the Solimoes Basin.
– Brazil is a key partner in Latin America. Our task – to intensify trade. These positive aspects need to consolidate and diversify mutual trade, including the expense of high-tech industries that are successfully developing in the Russian Federation and Brazil, – said Dmitry Medvedev.
In turn, Michel Temer expects to expand the access of Brazilian agricultural products to the Russian market and diversify exports. He added that Brazil and Russia will also be working on the convergence of the Southern Common Market and the Eurasian Economic Union.