Russia to sue the US after it illegally seized diplomatic property

0 79

September 6, 2017 – Fort Russ News – Paul Antonopoulos

In a phone conversation between Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Lavrov made it clear that Moscow plans to sue Washington because of the illegal seizures of Russian diplomatic property, the Russian foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

- Advertisement -

“The sides discussed the situation in bilateral relations and Lavrov stressed that the seizure of Russian diplomatic property in the United States by the US authorities is a flagrant violation of international law,” the ministry said.

“The minister drew attention of the US top diplomat to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s statement at a news conference after the BRICS summit in China’s Xiamen that the Russian side plans to use court procedures over Washington’s illegal actions,” the statement continued.

“It is up to the Foreign Ministry to decide what court the case is to be taken to. President Vladimir Putin has issued on-line instructions to Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov,” Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov told the media. “The Ministry will now be looking for the best option that would allow for protecting our legitimate interests in the juridical dimension.”

Earlier on Tuesday Putin told the media: “The American side has stripped Russia of the right to use its property – this is obvious violation of proprietary rights of the Russian side. To begin with I will issue instructions to the Foreign Ministry to take the case to court. Let us see how effectively the vaunted US judicial system works.”

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments