September 7, 2017 – Fort Russ News – Paul Antonopoulos
The UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria has highlighted the US-led airstrikes on Syria’s civilian population.
“The commission is gravely concerned about the impact of international coalition airstrikes on civilians,” said the council in a report on Wednesday.
The report also highlighted that the US-led coalition took no precautions to preserve human life in Aleppo earlier this year.
“Forces of the United States of America failed to take all feasible precautions to protect civilians and civilian objects when attacking a mosque, in violation of international humanitarian law,” it said.
Referring to the situation in Raqqa, the UN report said, “Investigations are ongoing into allegations that international coalition airstrikes, carried out as part of the ongoing offensive to repel ISIS from Raqqa, have resulted – and continue to result – in increasingly alarming numbers of civilian casualties.”
“The commission is gravely concerned that this offensive has led to the internal displacement of some 190,000 persons, with the fate of some 20,000 others precarious as they remain trapped Raqqa city, many of them civilians that ISIS reportedly forced to concentrate in areas under its control,” it added.