Russia: Mainstream media, Western politicians are conspiring to cover up the true extent of damage in Syria’s Raqqa
January 13, 2018 – Fort Russ News – Paul Antonopoulos
MOSCOW, Russia – Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on Friday that there is a systematic block out of the real devastation in Syria’s Raqqa by Western media and politicians to avoid discrediting Washington’s activities in Syria.
“An apparent conspiracy of silence, it is difficult to call it otherwise, is being shaped in the Western media and political circles regarding the true state of affairs in Raqqa,” she asserted.
“This is done in order not to discredit actions by Washington and its allies in Syria, who have no legal grounds for their presence in Syria. Concurrently, attempts continue to blow the issue out of proportion and distort developments in Eastern Ghouta and Idlib, which are part of the de-escalation zones set up in Syria,” she said.
“Significant parts of the city remain mine-laden. There is a huge amount of unexploded munitions, more than 80% of the buildings there have been decimated, and the city’s public water supply system is not working,” she explained.
“Electricity is available only in certain districts. Many corpses remain under the rubble, and the threat of an epidemic breaking out is huge. The relevant UN agencies have so far been unable to evaluate the situation, and there are no conditions for civilians to return to the city,” she stressed.
“The reasons for that are obvious. These are indiscriminate military actions by the so-called US-led coalition countering IS [ISIS]. Later, some local administration scheme was concocted, which is not controlled by the legitimate Syrian government in Damascus,” Zakharova concluded.