Kemerovo Fire: Tragedy or Provocation? (PHOTOS + VIDEOS)

The title of this article might be a little misleading, but not without reason is such a question posed. The fire that killed 64 people, including 41 children, in the Winter Cherry mall in Russia’s Kemerovo on March 25th was absolutely, undoubtedly a tragedy. What is provocative, however, are the implications of the political and disinformation campaigns which have made the Kemerovo tragedy even more tragic.

In Kemerovo on March 25th, just before 16:00 local time, approximately thirty minutes after crowds of children were bussed in for a movie showing, a fire broke out somewhere towards the top of the four-story Winter Cherry complex. There was no fire alarm and the public intercom system was never turned on. Thus, the first warning for many of those inside was the sight of others running for their lives and even jumping out of upper-floor windows. Numerous fire exits were found to be locked. The roof of the cinema was engulfed and collapsed in. While firefighters arrived and started trying to control the blaze by approximately 16:30, the fire would not be successfully extinguished until the next day. Several dozen people are presumed still missing.

Sometime later that day, the Ukrainian prankster Evgeniy Volnov, impersonating an employee of Russia’s Ministry of Emergency Situations, called Kemerovo morgues and claimed that around 300 people had died and urged to prepare for their bodies. Volnov subsequently posted the recording of the call on YouTube as “evidence” that the Russian government was covering up the death toll:

One morgue doctor – who was not at work at the time – repeated to subsequently gathering crowds this fake death count of 300, which he admitted on March 28th that he himself had derived from social media.

Subsequently, Russian non-parliamentary opposition activists in the likes of Navalny and co. bombarded social media with claims of 300 or even 400+ killed and accusations to the effect that not only was the Russian government, especially President Putin, directly to blame, but that state services deployed to check shopping centers around the country would, in Navalny’s Tweet’s words, busy themselves with extortion.

“Oh, that means they’ve gone to profit too”: Article title: “Following the tragedy in Kemerovo, the Prosecutor General has ordered to check all shopping and entertainment centers in the country…”

Then fake pictures started circulating around social media, some from the “Lame Horse fire” from Perm in 2009, others from the May 2014 Odessa massacre, when Ukrainian “nationalists” and neo-Nazi groups chased and cornered anti-Maidan protesters in the Odessa House of Trade Unions building, setting it alight and shooting at those trying to flee, killing nearly 50 and injuring more than 200. The following gruesome pictures from the Odessa Massacre were floated around as if they were from Kemerevo:

When, on March 26th and 27th, the families of survivors and shocked citizens gathered in cities across Russia to demand answers from authorities and mourn the dead, Navalny and his opposition cohorts tried to hijack the rallies, particularly in Moscow, and turn them into opposition protests. Even though those originally gathered in Kemerovo had focused on criticizing the governor, Aman Tuleyev – who did not even visit the scene – with the arrival of opposition activists shouts of “Putin resign” were suddenly heard, and crowds of underage middle-class-looking youth – whom Navalny and co. are notorious for mobilizing and getting arrested – were rapidly conjured in Kemerovo and Moscow.

Navalny (center) and co. showing their “mourning faces” at a rally in Moscow

Then pro-opposition media circulated “recruitment profiles” showcasing young adults who “never went to protests” but whose “patience had finished” over “media lies.”

“23-year-old Aleksandr Malyshev just called our editorial board and said that he is ‘tired of the lies’ and has gone out to picket over the situation in Kemerov. Earlier he never went to protests, and calls himself an a-political person. But today his patience finished, and he went from work on lunch and printed a placard – ‘Kemerovo victims – the media lie’ and stood with it on 1905 Square.

All of this comes on the heels of a particularly suspicious Tweet by Navalny from March 21st, who shared an article suggesting that all eyes should be on Kemerovo as the center of potential post-election “drama.”

“If you ask me which region to pay attention to in order to understand everything about the Russian ‘elections’, my finger will point to the Kemerov region. It is the whole drama of these ‘elections’ in a microcosm.”

Western media, of course, joined the fray with ulterior motives. A Bloomberg editorial from March 26th wrote “human lives aren’t worth much to the Putin system”, and claimed that “Putin isn’t even planning to travel to Kemerovo”, even though President Putin flew in that night and held meetings with authorities and laid flowers the next day. After Putin did visit, the same author then changed his focus to ranting about “the chasm between the system he [Putin] built and the people it governs”, concluded that “Putin’s fourth term in power is already looking like a joyless slog” and lamented: “Had it not been for the Kremlin’s skill at suppressing dissent, this gap would be a major opportunity for his political opponents.”

On March 27th, The New York Times ran a piece characteristically titled “Putin’s Grim Reality” and employing typically transparent semantics, such as: “Instead of fuming at the United States and its allies, Mr. Putin, during his Siberia trip, used another tool in his repertoire…He set the security apparatus to work.” As if those deemed suspect should not be detained and an investigation and emergency measures should not be taken? The hackneyed claim of Putin’s “increasingly tight control of the news media” was also regurgitated and blamed for “aggravating” public “distrust.” Later along the chain of unsubstantiated implications, the article mocked Putin as demonstrating “puzzled outrage” despite the fact that, according to the Times, everyone knows Russia’s “draconian fire regulations…[and] lamentable and well-known fire safety record.”

The New York Times’ lingo was topped by the UK The Sun, which ran the title “FIRE AND FURY: Russians slam Putin over horrifying Kemerovo mall fire in huge nationwide protests – as locals claim ‘cover up’ of real death toll.”

On March 28th, which was declared a National Day of Mourning, Putin officially decried media disinformation surrounding the incident: “We see that, unfortunately, fakes are going around through social media, including from abroad, in order to sow panic and sow distrust, to make people clash with one another. This, of course, cannot be allowed under any circumstances.”

In response, United Russia deputy Yevgeny Fedorov has announced that he intends to draft legislation that would propose establishing self-regulating committees of experts to develop a new national ethical code for media outlets and monitor the spread of fake news and such “dances on graves.”

As of this evening, five people have been temporarily detained in Kemerovo: the technical director of the company which owns the Winter Cherry building, the tenant of the space in which the fire is believed to have broken out, one employee and the head of the organization responsible for servicing the fire alarm system, and the private security employee who might have disconnected the fire alarm system. In addition, the deputy governor of the Kemerovo region has been dismissed. Russian media are forecasting the dismissal of Governor Tuleyev himself.

The official, ongoing investigation has not declared a final ruling on the tragedy. President Putin, meanwhile, has explicitly blamed “criminal negligence.” As facts concerning incomplete or altogether foregone safety checks on the Winter Cherry building come to light, it is more than likely that criminal negligence and corruption played a role in the fire. This would not be a surprise, since President Putin’s has emphasized in his pre- and post-election statements that corruption is one of the main problems with which Russia must and with which he intends to deal.

But something just doesn’t feel right here. There are suspicious signs suggesting that this tragedy was more than just an instance of criminal corruption and negligence. In the fire incident itself, there were so many variables at play – the timing of the fire right after the arrival of crowds of children who in demographically-challenged Russia made up a significant portion of the adolescent population of nearby towns (whole school classes are now deceased), a disconnected fire alarm, an absent warning from security, locked fire escapes, a rapid, rather successful intervention by an infamous Ukrainian, widespread disinformation bombardments, an instant opposition mobilization by Navalny and co, and, as usual, relentless Western media assaults on Putin himself. Looking at the circumstances of the incident and the ensuing political events, how does such not resemble a contrived act?

We also have the extremely suspicious testimony of the arrested Winter Cherry director.

What’s more, the Kemerovo fire was only one of four fires across Russia over the past four days. On March 26th, a 12-story apartment complex in Grozny caught fire due, according to the Ministry of Emergency Situations “the ignition of flammable materials by an unidentified source.” On the same day, the Sputnik Dom mall in Belgorod caught fire. Today, a St. Petersburg car dealership set alight. No victims have been reported, but neither have the reasons for the fire. At the risk of being conspiratorial, it is fair to ask, as Adam Garrie of Eurasia Future news has: “Is there calculated foul play at hand?…One cannot help but question if something more sinister might be behind the series of fires.”

All of this is happening one week after President Putin’s re-election, amidst an extreme heightening of tensions between Russia and the West, specifically on the heels of the diplomatic row initiated by the United Kingdom over the beyond dubious “Skripal affair,” over which the UK has announced a new, aggressive “Fusion Doctrine” which, in British Prime Minister Theresa May’s words, will mobilize “every capability at our disposal to defeat them.” CNN’s reporting, interestingly enough, has repeatedly emphasized this coincidence.

In big geopolitics, we may never know what exact covert operations are conspiring. But we can draw attention to disturbing coincidences. And that is what we might have before us now. While Western and Russian opposition media continue to turn the Kemerovo tragedy (or operation?) into a provocation for their political ends, there is a much more important question which needs to be asked: Did the US’ October 2015 threat – that Russia will “feel real pain” and that Russians will “come home in body bags” if Russia refuses to back down in its anti-terrorist operations – ever expire?

In the absolute least, we are witnessing a gross exploitation of Russians’ tragedy, which speaks volumes as to the character of Western media and the Russian “opposition.”

Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
Notify of
guest
41 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Jeff Z
Jeff Z
3 years ago

Blame the Brits and then deport all their diplomats. In their world, blame is all you need to prove its true.

Reply to  Jeff Z
3 years ago

Nothing to do with the Brits, think deeper before gobbing off.

Jeff Z
Jeff Z
Reply to  You can call me Al
3 years ago

No sht Sherlock. Anymore than the poisoning had anything to do with Russia. Lemming.

Reply to  Jeff Z
3 years ago

? Not sure why the harsh words. But hey-ho.

Reply to  Jeff Z
3 years ago

That is what I am saying you MUPPET. Why do you thing the diplomatic response and campaign was so crap, so rushed ?.

I stand by my original comment.

Jeff Z
Jeff Z
Reply to  You can call me Al
3 years ago

Which was a foolish as you are. Blocked moron.

Reply to  Jeff Z

Thank goodness, see ya.

Reply to  Jeff Z
3 years ago

Hi Jeff, emotions are pretty high these days what with all of the BS in the UK/US/EU. ‘You can call me Al’ sends his apologies for letting his emotions get the better of him, but you can see it for yourself if you unblock him.

Reply to  You can call me Al
3 years ago

I’m sure he means the government, so I agree with both of you andddddddd the ‘west’ has set a precedent, guilty until proven innocent. Now everyone will be able to play. Of course that precedent had been set by the US a long long time ago, but the government of May, has given it world wide credence. The new ‘values’ accepted and espoused by the US/EU with the exception of just a handful of mature EU countries that still believe that evidence should be provided to prove guilt.

Reply to  TiredOfBsToo
3 years ago

You are probably right, but this whole debacle annoys me and makes me so angry that I am taking that but on others, so apologies.

Apologise to him will you please, Jeff Z as he blocked me.

Cheers

Reply to  You can call me Al
3 years ago

“Apologise to him will you please..”

I did, no response as of yet to me anyway.

Reply to  TiredOfBsToo
3 years ago

He ha blocked me, I can’t.

Reply to  You can call me Al
3 years ago

The apology’s been rendered, he’s not interested. What can I say…

Reply to  TiredOfBsToo
3 years ago

Thanks, but to be honest, I wont lose any sleep over it. Cheers.

NoBS
NoBS
Reply to  TiredOfBsToo
3 years ago

Capitalism and left of center is incompatible. Beaurocrocy and capitalism is called Government venture capitalism, which is a Socialist ideology to control industry.

Capitalism requires limited government with heavy over site between State lines and national borders.

Limited government requires harsh laws and even harsher punishments. Socialist believe in coddling pedophiles and rapist while attacking successful biz folks.

Reply to  NoBS
3 years ago

Straight Capitalism or Socialism has always suc*ed, neither is workable for a variety of reasons. The only form of government possible as far as I’m concerned, is a mix of Social Capitalism, whereby the government is not corrupt and everything is done for the entire population of the country. Currently, I am not aware of any such government anywhere.

NoBS
NoBS
Reply to  TiredOfBsToo
3 years ago

Capitalism under a centralized government is like saying Marxism is an ideologically allied with Anarchy.
As in Zero government, to the point of just calling Lord of the Fly’s free trade agreement. Bloody fools who lack the concept of limited government!

Recommend you brush up on real extreme right wing ideology before you make a bigger horses ass from your ignorance.

Capitalism require ONLY transaction over sight. For simple flat tax and pro consumer protection.

Rules and regulations that choke honest business require armed Military like the IRS swat teams. Why does the IRS and the Federalized Education have a Military?

Centralized Government is the ONLY reason history had it’s most famous Fascist in the Mussolini run Italian “Marxist” government. Yet there are BS academics who pretend the Italians did not hate Hitler because he was too right wing of the Italian run government

You see, in the twenties Mussolini was a devoted supporter of his Russian Cousins (and inlaws).

We know them as Bolsheviks, who got logistical support from the Mussolini family, who are interestingly Jewish. But why should the facts get in the way if repeating mistakes is all the rage?

McDdd
McDdd
Reply to  You can call me Al
3 years ago

Not really (“Nothing to do with…”): the Americans may be the ones stuffing it down their throats, and they may be gagging on it now, but Ms May got down on her knees of her own initiative as she smiled and asked, ‘What can we suck to make it better?’ And now that she’s got a whole gang behind her gagging on their knees there should be moments of revelling in self-satisfied, self-righteous, self-obsessed indignation when they actually delude themselves into believing this is the right thing to do. Narcissism is the inevitable result of allowing psychopaths to attain political power. It used to be called ‘capitalism’ before we knew what it does.

Reply to  McDdd
3 years ago

OK fair play, you are correct. My point was that it was not instigated by us, rather outside sources. This whole thing is so embarrassing to my Country, I get quite terse with my comments / responses, apologies.

McDdd
McDdd
Reply to  You can call me Al
3 years ago

Yes, I can imagine. One has to be SO careful!

For the record, I sense you’re on the right page and doing the right thing (if that doesn’t come over as TOO patronising).

Franz Kafka
Franz Kafka
Reply to  McDdd
3 years ago

Feast on this: comment image

Wymyn will save the world.

McDdd
McDdd
Reply to  Franz Kafka

Why (feast on this)?

Franz Kafka
Franz Kafka
Reply to  McDdd
3 years ago

Because if you don’t ‘feast on them’ they will soon be ‘feasting on you.’

McDdd
McDdd
Reply to  Franz Kafka
3 years ago

Yeah, right, if they can’t even work out who’s feasting on them (those who organised and profit from NATO)… Their willful stupidity may be the death of me, but I don’t really think that qualifies them to have considered themselves to have ‘feasted on me’. They’re just too thick to see how dangerous their petty greed is for everyone and many may perish as a result, but I wouldn’t call it a feast.

Although, strictly speaking, the fact that, as competent politicians (read ‘apex psychopaths’), I suppose, in their own way, they must consider the fulfilment of their ambitions as something of a feast. Bloody cold comfort I would have thought, but that’s probably why they’ve got more money than me. It’s not sour grapes: they’re welcome to it.

Never ceases to amaze me how corrupted the human soul (seems to) have become in what seems such a condensed time frame! Seems impossible that this could really all be down to a case of Democracy I combined with unfettered capitalism and monetary control (The Federal Reserve) in the wrong hands. Let’s just hope the remedy is equally quick, and nuclear- and chemical-free!

Hue Smith
Hue Smith
Reply to  You can call me Al
3 years ago

Skripal had nothing to do with Russia but that hasn’t stopped the Poms from pointing the finger at Russia and “gobbing off”!! It’s a two way street!

Reply to  Hue Smith
3 years ago

Our retarded government pointed the finger NOT the people. If you have seen my other comments I totally agree with you and I am bloody British.

3 years ago

Whilst all the incidents are shocking, I am so pleased that someone else has seen the facts as rather strange (to be polite), I like the author feels like “But something just doesnÔÇÖt feel right here”…

Does anyone remember all the refinery explosions in the space of weeks last year – again both strange and uncanny.

A few months ago the UK suffered an urgent problem with its gas supplies, not solely due to mismanagement but in 1 week, yes 1 week, 4 nightmare disasters happened in our external supply routes just as the US announces it wants to be the biggest exporter of LNG….low and behold we become the major US lapdog again.

PS Thanks for the shipment of LNG Russia. F’ck the US.

FlorianGeyer
FlorianGeyer
Reply to  You can call me Al
3 years ago

I agree with you Al. Something is not ‘kosher’ here and the Navalny prophecy deserves a swift interrogation.

Reply to  FlorianGeyer
3 years ago

Not only an interrogation, but serious jail time for attempting to use the tragedy to promote a coup supported by the US. The Russian government needs to follow the money from the protest sponsored by the traitors (oppostition?).

FlorianGeyer
FlorianGeyer
Reply to  TiredOfBsToo
3 years ago

I am sure they will do so in a timely and legal manner and IF the fire was caused deliberately on the orders of, or directly by a foreign government a rather large hammer will crash down on their heads.

Reply to  FlorianGeyer
3 years ago

I was going to say, I didn’t believe a foreign government would do such a heinous act, but then I remembered all the people murdered for geopolitics.

FlorianGeyer
FlorianGeyer
Reply to  TiredOfBsToo
3 years ago

The Kiev regime would the the top suspects I think BUT their strings would be pulled by either the US or Israel.

FlorianGeyer
FlorianGeyer
Reply to  TiredOfBsToo
3 years ago

“Madeleine Albright – The deaths of 500,000 Iraqi children ”

This just the tip of the Zionist iceberg of death .

musimann
musimann
3 years ago

The US government shoots children in school so I would not put this past the
CIA. Mossad and MI6 are also suspects. I hope the

Russian investigators can get to the truth of who started the fires.

Ekaterina
Ekaterina
3 years ago

Very important article – thank you. Had no idea about the Navalny tweet or that Odessa Massacre pics were being used.

Fatima Manoubia
Fatima Manoubia
Reply to  Ekaterina
3 years ago

The Odessa maassacre pics were precisely and curiously used here, at FRN, to illustratepone of their first post on the mall fire issue. I found it quite macabre in fact….

J Arnoldski
J Arnoldski
Reply to  Ekaterina
3 years ago

You’re welcome, that’s what Fort Russ is here for!

lance
lance
3 years ago

Of course it was a provocation. Everyone needs to start reading the translations of these events (i.e., translate them from latin into truth). Look at all the Russian flights going down, other deaths. That shit only really happens to Russia. It happens “imaginarily” in the Anglosphere, but really in Russia, and in other zones under attack. Smirk time was over long ago.

You may also ask why so many questions about the constitution being changed before the election. One solution to these sorts of provocations (actually, they’re terrorist acts) is execution of culprits. So Russia’s cornered again. They introduce executions and Europe’s fairy brigades have the ultimate excuse to cut ties. They do nothing, more fires, everywhere, of every kind. Real ones.

The legislation of fake news will help. But half of Russia’s media seems to be foreign intel. Don’t know how it would work.

Anyway. We don’t need more philosophizing. This has nothing to do with Hegel, Marx or Carl Jung theories. It has to do with them as agents, Yes. This is about destruction of the enemy, the cia handbook of revolution, art of war, that sort of thing; rule by violence, by deception infused violence. It’s great so many people went to university and learned up on things, but truly, you can’t base your analysis of that garbage.

anon134235
anon134235
Reply to  lance
3 years ago

I agree to certain extent, but I don’t think Russia is anywhere near being cornered.These things are at least in part attempts to create an environment of tension so the best thing to do is to keep a cool head continue the investigations normally and punish the ones responsible according to the law – no need to get carried away and do something drastic, that would contribute to the air of tension.

Personally I think the Russian authorities should look into wealthy Russians who plundered Russia in 90s(specifically ones with ties to criminal gangs/organized crime), criminal gangs and Israel/USA intelligence agents.Also while this is a tragedy this is also an opportunity since the enemy has to reveal(by making them move) all his agents inside Russia to make these things happen – ideal opportunity to rid Russia of pro-Western traitors and foreign intelligence agents.

Franz Kafka
Franz Kafka
3 years ago

The video I saw on day one looked like an accelerant or napalm was being used. I cant be the only one that saw it. That fire had a lot of help.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x