US President Donald Trump said on Friday that the United States is having “very productive talks” with Pyongyang about arranging a meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
“We are having very productive talks with North Korea about the resumption of the summit which, if it happens, will likely remain in Singapore on the same date, June 12, and, if necessary, will be extended beyond that date,” Trump said on Twitter.
Earlier on Thursday, the White House released a letter signed by Donald Trump, in which the US leader considered it “inappropriate” to hold the historic summit scheduled for June 12 until Pyongyang’s “anger and hostility” subsides. Although he recognized that the meeting has been canceled, Trump expressed readiness to meet Kim Jong-un in the future.
In his address to the White House, Trump called the failure of the summit a defeat for North Korea and other countries. He stressed that the US military is ready to react to any “tricks” of Pyongyang, recalling his significant increase in defense sector funding.
However, responding to a question about the threat of war with North Korea, Trump noted that there is a peaceful solution.
Trump’s recent rhetoric distracts from the fact that it was Pyongyang that extended a peaceful hand before the US and South Korea provocatively organized joint military drills on the Korean peninsula which Pyongyang condemned as not conducive to peace.
Early on Friday, Trump stepped down from such rhetoric and said at a news conference that dialogue with North Korea has been re-established and that a meeting with the North Korean leader may occur even as soon as June 12, i.e., the original date for the summit.
However, with war hawks like Bolton and Pence at his side, it is difficult to imagine that peace can be achieved on the Korean peninsula with their continued aggressive rhetoric towards independent North Korea.