The Saudi-led coalition carried out air strikes against the headquarters of the Houthi movement in the western Yemeni province of Hodeidah despite the ceasefire.
“The coalition attacked a building of [Houthi-led] Ansar Allah militants on Monday in the Zabid [Hudaydah province] area,” an official said.
On Sunday, United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Anwar Gargash said the coalition had suspended the offensive at the Yemeni port of Al-Hodeidah to promote peace talks with the Houthis. However, although this is the official reason given, it is most likely that because the UAE-led offensive was a complete and utter fail that saw them fail to move beyond the outskirts of Hodeidah airport at the very southern portion of the Red Sea port city, this was the reason for the suspension of the offensive and not to supposedly hold peace talks.
Earlier this week UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths said he planned to start peace talks between the internationally but illegitimate Yemeni government led by President Abd Rabbuh Mansur and the Houthis in the coming weeks.
A military operation in Al-Hodeidah was launched in June, when Yemeni government forces backed by the Saudi-led coalition began an offensive to capture the Houthis-controlled port. The offensive was criticized by the international community for the risk of aggravating the humanitarian crisis that is already crippling Yemen. Al-Hodeidah receives about 80% of all aid and commercial deliveries to the country and is a vital lifeline for millions of Yemenis.
Last week, the press reported that the Houthis were willing to hand over control of the Yemeni port to the United Nations in order to ease tensions. However, the rebel movement said on June 26 that the issue of control over Al-Hodeidah was not within the competence of the UN since the latter’s main objective was to observe the situation.