A Billion in U.S Arms Aid to Ukraine Since 2014 to Make War on Donbass
Kiev is negotiating for more
We read in Novorosinform:
Since 2014, Ukraine has received more than $1 billion from the United States “to strengthen its defense capability.” President of Ukraine Poroshenko announced this during the transfer of two PT boats of the “Island” class to Ukraine.
“Today, we have received more than $ 1 billion from the United States to support security. We appreciate the recent decision by the US Congress to increase this assistance. This supports our military allocations, which have already exceeded 6% of GDP,” Poroshenko said.
We add that this is not enough: today we learn, via an interview in Defense News, that Pavlo Klimkin is negotiating for more US military assistance, and that the negotiations are non-stop. We also learn more about the job of US Special Cheerleader for Ukraine Kurt Volker. Namely, he is the middleman for the weapons supply talks! From the Defense News interview:
Foreign Minister of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin said that Kyiv has been discussing with the US a relatively new pieces of defense equipment.
Klimkin stressed the great influence of modern Western weapons on the battlefield in Ukraine.
“Those discussions are ongoing all the time, because “Javelin” was important psychologically.
We noticed that the Russians took their tanks into the occupied territories, fearing, mentally and physically, what anti-tank weapons can be used in the case of Russian provocations,” – said the diplomat.
In addition, the Minister is convinced that Ukraine needs to develop its own naval capability.
“We are very strong in protecting their interests in the Azov sea and I can’t allow the Russians to take control of the entire Azov”, – said Klimkin.
According to him, modern Ukraine is “prepared to respond to effective provocation.”
The Novorosinform site noted above has more background:
- On November 15, the Minister of foreign Affairs of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin started his working visit to USA by meeting with the special representative of the US State Department on Ukraine with Kurt Volker.
- On the eve of September 27, the House of Representatives of the United States approved the allocation of $250 million for the military needs of Ukraine.:
- On September 19, the decision to provide military assistance to Ukraine was approved by the US Senate.
- Earlier it was reported Ukraine submitted to Washington a request for the purchase of US air defense systems.
- Next year the “defense” budget of Ukraine will be about 200 billion hryvnia. This was announced on August 27 by the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council Alexander Turchinov during a meeting on the formation of the defense budget for 2019.
- On August 1, the US Senate approved the budget of military aid to Ukraine.