Syria to UN: New coalition raids target civilians. Syria To Coalition: get out!
The ministry reiterated the call for the coalition to leave Syrian territory
Agence de Presse NewsFront:
SYRIA: NEW CIVILIAN VICTIMS IN THE RAIDS OF THE INTERNATIONAL COALITION
After the state media announced new civilian casualties in international coalition raids led by Washington, Damascus sent a letter to the UN in which it condemned the coalition and stressed that the coalition is only contributing to the expansion of Daesh in the region.
Acting illegally in Syria, the US-led international coalition is only encouraging the spread of Daesh’s influence as its strikes mainly civilian targets, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said. On Saturday, Syrian diplomacy sent missives to the UN Secretary-General and the UN Security Council President, saying that the real targets of the coalition are not Daesh terrorists but Syrian civilians from the governorate of Deir ez-Zor.
“The actions of this “coalition” since its foundation only contribute to the creation of favorable conditions for this criminal group to stay in Syria and begin to spread again,” the ministry said in its message.
And the ministry reiterated the call for the coalition to leave Syrian territory, and for the UN to conduct a fair investigation against those responsible for the Syrian bloodshed.
On December 30, 2018, the international coalition acknowledged that at least 1,139 civilians had been victims of its strikes on Syria and Iraq since August 2014.
Damascus then retorted that it was the acknowledgment of the “killing of innocent civilians by the coalition” and that the number of victims was actually several times larger. On Friday, the Syrian agency Sana announced that 10 civilians, including four children, were killed in a coalition raid on al-Kishkiya village in the governorate of Deir ez-Zor. The day before the announcement, national television reported the disappearance of 11 members of one family.
We note that in a late November news report, which included the acknowledgment of civilian deaths caused by the coalition, Brett McGurk, coalition liaison officer, claims there are no civilians harmed by the coalition:
“Reports of civilian casualties attributed to coalition strikes are false. All other forces should cease uncoordinated fires from across the river immediately,” he said on Twitter.
In a statement late Saturday, the coalition reported 19 coalition strikes on IS targets “free of civilian presence” between late Friday and Saturday afternoon in the jihadist enclave, which includes the town of Hajin.