US Bombings in Afghanistan Surge to 10-Year High

0 1,734

WASHINGTON, D.C./KABUL – American warplanes dropped more bombs on Afghanistan in 2019 than at any other time in at least a decade, according to the US Air Force, as Washington intensified attacks in the country amid withdrawal talks with the Taliban.

In 2019 alone, the US dropped 7,423 separate munitions on targets in Afghanistan, where the US has been enmeshed in fighting several militant groups since it invaded the country following the September 11, 2001 attacks, AFP reported.

The figure – published online by US Air Forces Central Command – represents a dramatic surge in bombings in Afghanistan compared to the peak of President Barack Obama’s “surge” in 2009, when 4,147 bombs were dropped.

Since US President Donald Trump was elected in 2016, the US has ramped up bombing runs over Afghanistan as the White House removed earlier restrictions that provided greater oversight over air raids aimed at preventing civilian casualties.

The UN has repeatedly voiced concerns that the increase in airstrikes across the country by US forces has resulted in a major upswing in civilian casualties. During the first half of 2019, pro-government forces, including the US, killed 717 civilians, an increase of 31% from a year earlier, the UN reported last year.

Most of the deaths came from US and Afghan airstrikes, often in support of national forces on the ground, the report said. The increase in bombings comes as Washington and the Taliban continue to wrangle over a possible agreement that would see US troops begin to leave Afghanistan in return for security guarantees.

The Taliban have been pushing to reach a withdrawal agreement with Washington by the end of January and are prepared to “scale down” military operations ahead of signing a deal, the group’s chief spokesman said earlier this month.

The two sides had been negotiating an agreement for a year and were close to an announcement in September 2019 until Trump abruptly declared the process “dead”, citing Taliban violence. Taliban sources told AFP earlier this month they had offered to initiate a brief cease-fire of seven to 10 days in order to formally restart talks, but there has since been no announcement on the proposal by either party.

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments